15'1" × 19'7"
A vintage Spanish botanic rug, circa 1940’s from the first half of the 20th century. The main field consists of an all over floral design enclosed by a discrete border with vinery. The rug is rendered in subdued shades of cream, yellow and lavender.
Retaining the idiosyncratic structure of the Spanish knot, early Hispano-Moresque area rug weavers employed the method of a single-warp knot in their large area rugs. Neoclassical and Turkish influenced pieces were made in the workshops of Quenca. In 1712 Charles III founded the Real Fabrica de Tapices Manufactory in Madrid and produced European style antique rugs nyc to compete with the sophisticated French workshops of Aubusson and Savonnerie.