A machine woven carpet designed by Frank Brangwyn and made by Templeton, Glasgow. Designed for the Pollard exhibition. Circa 1929.
Frank Brangwyn was a polymath, an artist-craftsman who created murals, oils and watercolours, furniture, textiles, ceramics, stained glass and prints. Born in 1867 in Bruges, Brangwyn moved to London as a child. He lived in the capital for most of his life until moving to Ditchling, where he died in 1956. Brangwyn briefly worked as an apprentice for Morris's workshop, enlarging designs and tracing drawings. Although he soon left to paint and travel, he shared Morris's believe that art should be available to all