- Size: 18'3" × 29'9" (556 × 906 cm)New, Modern & Custom Rugs in Stock, Traditional Today, Oversized RugsThere are few things that can match the top-notch quality and profound artistic sensitivity of oriental craft. Although presently made, this magnificent custom Oushak traditional today rug remains in complete […]
- Size: 10'0" × 12'0" (304 × 365 cm)New, Modern & Custom Rugs in Stock, Traditional TodayThis stunning contemporary traditional today rug is everything your house hold can need. Hand knotted using high quality blend of silk and cotton, the modern stair carpet features an elegant […]
- Size: 13'0" × 22'5" (396 × 683 cm)New, Modern & Custom Rugs in Stock, Art Deco Rugs, Geometric Rugs, Traditional TodayNew and custom rugs by DLB take what is best from the entire history of carpet weaving and put it in a contemporary context to become floor coverings that meet […]
- Size: 21'10" × 21'10" (665 × 665 cm)New, Modern & Custom Rugs in Stock, Traditional Today, Oversized Rugs, Square RugsThis stunning Tibetan traditional today rug takes what is best in the traditional designs and improves it with a bit of modernity. Hand knotted using high quality blend of silk […]
- Size: 16'5" × 19'9" (500 × 601 cm)New, Modern & Custom Rugs in Stock, Traditional Today, Oversized RugsThis modern rug is a palpable proof that traditional, manual techniques combined with contemporary design and top-notch materials give outstanding results, ready to satisfy even the most demanding connoisseurs of […]
- Size: 8'9" × 12'8" (266 × 386 cm)New, Modern & Custom Rugs in Stock, Traditional TodayThis exquisite modern rug amazes not only with its elegant, oriental-inspired design but most importantly, with the outstanding quality. The sublime piece was thoroughly hand-crafted of the finest pashmina in […]
- Size: 9'8" × 16'0" (294 × 487 cm)New, Modern & Custom Rugs in Stock, Traditional TodayThis modern rug is perfect for both the lovers of nature and the declared urban dwellers. Its cool color palette composed of mixing slate, gravel, blackish, off-white and dirty beige […]
- Size: 13'0" × 16'7" (396 × 505 cm)New, Modern & Custom Rugs in Stock, Abstract Rugs, Modern Contemporary Rugs, Traditional TodayWhoever looks at this magnificent carpet once must reckon with the fact that he will always remain under its spell. This Oriental-inspired wonder takes what is best from the venerable […]
- Size: 13'4" × 18'2" (406 × 553 cm)New, Modern & Custom Rugs in Stock, Modern Contemporary Rugs, Traditional TodaySublime, elegant, magnificent – these are just some of many expressions that come to mind when we look at this mesmerizing modern blue rug. Its tasteful design enchants with subtlety, […]
- Size: 12'8" × 15'0" (386 × 457 cm)New, Modern & Custom Rugs in Stock, Traditional TodayThis mesmerizing creation is excellent not only in terms of design but also in respect of execution. The sublime piece was thoroughly hand-crafted of the finest pashmina in accordance with […]
- Size: 10'0" × 13'9" (304 × 419 cm)New, Modern & Custom Rugs in Stock, Traditional Today, Pop-Up ShopThis mesmerizing creation is excellent not only in terms of design but also in respect of execution. The sublime piece was thoroughly hand-crafted of the finest pashmina in accordance with […]
- Size: 8'1" × 9'8" (246 × 294 cm)New, Modern & Custom Rugs in Stock, Traditional TodayThis incredibly classy traditional today rug is inspired with the marvelous Eastern-European creations. It takes the traditional simple folk motifs and gives them a completely new dimension, saturated with timeless […]
- Size: 9'0" × 12'0" (274 × 365 cm)New, Modern & Custom Rugs in Stock, Floral Rugs, Traditional Today, DuplicatesThis extraordinary mid century modern rug is a creation which comes from the hands of masterly Tibetan weavers. Hand-made of the finest wool according to traditional weaving techniques, the carpet […]
- Size: 4'3" × 5'8" (129 × 172 cm)New, Modern & Custom Rugs in Stock, Traditional TodayThis charming Nepalese traditional today rug exudes a particularly heartwarming vibe. It resembles an Oriental patchwork composed of six parts, each bearing a completely different design. Strangely enough, the entire […]
- Size: 8'0" × 9'10" (243 × 299 cm)New, Modern & Custom Rugs in Stock, Traditional TodayEurope was a source of inspiration for numerous artists, no matter their origins. This particular modern carpet pattern, made by Tibetan craftsmen bears little resemblance to traditional Asian weave. Its […]
- Size: 18'0" × 25'7" (548 × 779 cm)New, Modern & Custom Rugs in Stock, Traditional Today, Oversized RugsThis large and charming Tibetan traditional today rug is a dainty piece of weaving art. Short fibers of wool are hand-knotted together in a truly delectable, mellow textile. Palette of […]
- Size: 7'10" × 9'7" (238 × 292 cm)New, Modern & Custom Rugs in Stock, Traditional TodayWhat we are offering this time is a magnificent piece of weaving art coming from Tibet. The rich local tradition of producing stunning traditional today rugs by hand found beautiful […]
- Size: 8'0" × 10'0" (243 × 304 cm)New, Modern & Custom Rugs in Stock, Traditional TodayThis masterly hand-knotted traditional today rug was produced by Tibetan craftsmen. Beautiful floral pattern decorates the entire surface of the pile-woven modern area rug. Short fibers of decent wool are […]
- Size: 8'0" × 9'9" (243 × 297 cm)New, Modern & Custom Rugs in Stock, Traditional TodayAlthough created in the 21st century, this magnificent area rug stays true to the best traditions of Tibetan weaving craftsmanship. Its soft pile, made of the best quality wool, is […]
- Size: 12'5" × 15'4" (378 × 467 cm)New, Modern & Custom Rugs in Stock, Traditional Today, Pop-Up ShopHand Knotted Wool.
Within our new and custom Traditional Rugs collection we have a broad selection of Samarkand rugs generally made in unusually large sizes. Sumptuous in nature and appearance some of our Samarkand rugs are woven with recycled strands of wool from early central Asian Kilims. This eco-friendly blending of the old with the new conveys a sensual quality of the color and the weave that is unique within the rug industry.
To incorporate an antique into a contemporary interior takes flair and imagination. To assimilate an oriental antique into a western design demands daring and wit and to integrate an exotic oriental antique into a familiar setting takes a designer of singular talent and with the lightest but surest of touches. The rugs of the oasis towns of East Turkestan are incomparable. These exotic weavings from the oases towns of Kashgar, Yarkand and Khotan in the Chinese occupied Autonomous Region of Sikiang are collectively known as Samarkands. Typically, they are of long and relatively narrow format with simplistic and spacious designs rendered in glossy wool and sometimes in richly brocaded silk and metal-thread. The unusual rugs of Central Asia display themes from many cultures including China with fretwork borders, lotus blossoms and cloud-bands India with the swastika denoting infinity Turkey with bold reciprocal borders and carnations and Persia with floral trellis work. Traces of Buddhist symbols abound with the use of red signifying the sun and the realm of the senses, Samsara, with the blue medallions or roundels being the spiritual as well as the night, and their roundness a representation of the moon. The common placement of three medallions may represent that of a Buddha and its flanking Bohisattvas on an altar. The use of a stylized cloud or archaic rams’ horn pattern in many borders is a combination of the mundane and the spiritual with the clouds being a celestial sign and the horns reflective of the earth and the powers of darkness. Perhaps the most evocative of all of the East Turkestan motifs is the pomegranate that signifies prosperity and fertility. Sassanian representations, Western mythologies and Islamic geometries commingle within the Buddhist leaning Samarkand repertoire. Woven at the crossroads of many civilizations it is fitting that these rugs should employ such rich and varied symbolism. Samarkand is history’s definitive melting pot and its carpets are the ultimate expression of global multiculturalism.
Today Samarkand is the second largest city in Uzbekistan and is mainly inhabited by Persian-speaking Tajiks. Despite continuous political and economic upheaval, Samarkand continues to conjure up a mirage of romantic exoticism and has inspired many artists with appearances in the stories of One thousand and One Nights to the journals of Marco Polo written in 1298. As an icon of 20th century literature it has featured in Edith Wharton’s The Age of Innocence Angela Carter’s, The Kiss and Iris Murdoch’s The Nice and The Good. The city is referenced throughout popular culture, from the 1945 Hollywood film classic It’s a Wonderful Life to Monty Python’s Flying Circus in 1969. In 2001, UNESCO inscribed the 2750-year-old city on the World Heritage List as Samarkand -Crossroads of Cultures. Samarkand: a fragile yet vital pulse, woven at the junction of several civilizations, testimony to the power of invention, even within the confines of age old conventions. A serpentine line of beauty as singular as the Silk Road itself. An exotic new concept has been brought forth. A selection of Samarkand rugs in unusually large sizes, sumptuous in nature and appearance have been woven with recycled strands of wool from early central Asian Kilims. A sensual quality appears to the viewer in the nature of the color and the weave because of the beauty of combining the old with the new.